Coastal Home Insurance

Personal Insurance

A home near the water can be a great place to live—and a sound real estate investment. But coastal living comes with its own unique set of risks. Cook Maran & Associates is the insurance broker with the experience, knowledge and expertise you can count on to protect that investment.

We’re Here to Help Protect Your Coastal Home.

The broker entrusted by owners of coastal homes for decades, our team possesses an in-depth knowledge of the unique risks associated with coastal living.  We understand the special policy limitations introduced by the insurance industry—and how to effectively manage them. Specifically, homeowners should be aware of such limitations as a:

  • Hurricane Deductible.  Typically a percentage of the dwelling coverage on a policy, this percentage and the actual dollar amount must be specifically spelled out in each policy.
  • Deductible Trigger.  Hurricane deductibles are triggered when a hurricane makes landfall in a defined area.  Typically hurricane deductibles are triggered by a named hurricane (Category 1 or higher) making landfall.
  • Wind Deductible.  Some insurance carriers specializing in coastal homes offer a wind deductible.  More severe in its application, a wind deductible is triggered for any wind related losses – including tropical storms, nor’easters, or just a common wind event.
  • Flood Insurance.  Rising ground and tidal water is excluded in homeowner insurance.  Cook Maran recommends flood insurance protection, provided through the National Flood Insurance Program, in order to be fully protected. Insurance for your coastal home is incomplete unless you have both homeowner and flood insurance.

Want to ensure your waterfront home is protected? Turn to the coastal insurance broker with an in-depth understanding of the risk: Cook Maran & Associates. We know because we live here, too. In fact, half of our client advisors own homes in Southampton or East Hampton.

Request a Consultation